Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Shack

I just finished this book today, and I thought it would be good to share what I've found. The read was enjoyable from the standpoint of exploring theological fiction writing. The basic premise of this genre is to help teach the truths of God through fiction, similar to how Jesus taught through parables. I have recently been diving into this category of literature with Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan, and also the works of C.S. Lewis. 

The Shack was a much easier read and more emotional inspiring than Pilgrim's Progress, but I fear that where William P. Young has succeeded in fiction, he has neglected in sound biblical teaching. As we should do with any book written by men, I encourage all readers to compare the principles taught through The Shack with the principles taught through God's inspired Word. A great place to start would be this Reader's Review by Tim Challies. Tim has done his homework and brings up many good points with scripture references to back them up.

Dig into God's Word, follow the example of the *Bereans and Be-readin from the source of Truth.

*Ref. Acts 17:10ff

No comments :

Post a Comment