Monday, October 6, 2014

Really Dad!?

So says the rebellious teenager,

“I can’t believe I would get in trouble for this. The rule is stupid! I was only parked there for six hours, and there is never any parking at the apartment complex, which has NO assigned spots. We got back late last night, and I was frustrated with all the gas stations that turn off their pumps at midnight. I have a credit card, why turn the pumps off? We had stuff to carry into the apartment, and I knew I was going to leave early in the morning…there’s never anyone parked in that handicap spot. This is ridiculous! The one time…really Dad!?”

That’s exactly what I felt like…a teenager. Perhaps teenager in faith. In reality, these thoughts and words were thought and said by a 29-year-old father of 4 young children who happened to get a rare night out with his wife to a wedding (that’s about the extent of the special event budget).

What am I supposed to learn? Why do I always have to follow someone else’s rules? Especially when they are ridiculous to me. Why do I think I’m right? Why does it feel like everyone gets a shot at me, and I just have to take it…or pay it? How do all these other people afford these houses? Is their credit maxed? Why does the government take money when I get paid, when I pay, when I invest, when I start a business, when I sleep, when I eat, when I serve, when I park, when I ride my bike, when I want to help someone out, when I hunt, when I “own” property? Why can’t I provide for my family? What’s wrong with me? Why do I always want an exception? Why do I always want a short cut? Why do I always get caught?

"The Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in" Proverbs 3:12

I got to work after a long road of wrestling with my thoughts, asking God questions, and getting back answers I didn’t like. I took the stairs to the sixth floor and as I am huffing and puffing, a coworker happened to strike up a conversation with me. Usually I just say everything is fine, but I took the opportunity to lay out my frustrations. He sympathized with me. Afterward, walking to my desk, I felt lighter. Why don’t I talk to other people more? God blesses me through other people. I don’t have to have it all together. Sometimes I can just let out what I’m dealing with, and they can see my life, and they can see that my only hope is God. That’s who I am, God’s child. Trying to grow up. Rebellious at times, but I know the heart of my Father. He is good. I know this because He has shown his boundless love to me in more ways than I can remember and in depths that I can only share with close friends.

Yes Father, I’m listening. I’m sorry. It hurts, but you’re right. Rules protect all of us. It is selfish to expect exceptions. Respect those in authority. By following, you will lead. People will be able to trust you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1Peter 5:8

No comments :

Post a Comment