Monday, June 22, 2015

Trust Me

It had been a long week and my kids have been real troopers as we work ravenously on our house to make it into move-in condition. The kids have been great helpers, tearing up carpeting, hauling bricks, painting, making supper, cleaning, ripping off wall paper, and mowing the lawn. I’m sure they could come up with quite a few more tasks I’ve asked them to complete.

Well, Thursday night this past week, pretty much every kid fell asleep in the car on the way back to our apartment after another late night. Now James, one of our 5-yr-old boys, has had a habit of crying and getting angry if you wake him up from a deep sleep. I can’t blame him. I was the same way. But I don’t tolerate his rude reaction. This Thursday night, again, I wanted to help him get to bed with minimal fuss. But I also prayed that God would give me patience and love.

James was in a deep sleep as usual. As I tried coaxing him out of the car, I though about the dialog we were having. Between the words God gave me and James' sleep-talk responses, I can see God doing this for us…

“James. Buddy. We’re home. Can you get up and turn towards me? I can carry you all the way to your bed.”

James gives an animal-like cry somewhere between the sound of a loud morning stretch and a groan.

“Hey Bud, turn towards me so I can lift you out.” (He was sitting in the middle seat)

Clutching the blanket that was wrapped around him, he shouts, “I can do it! I can turn it!”

I can tell he is not awake. His eyes are still shut. “Trust me, son. It’s Daddy. Trust me. I’ll take care of it. Let go. I can carry you.”

He clutched the blanket more firmly, trying to “turn it” himself, misunderstanding my request. “I can do it!” he yells again in his sleep.

“It’s OK. Daddy’s here. Let it go. Trust me. It’s going to be OK. I’ve got it. Trust me.”

And with that he relaxed and let himself fall towards me. I lifted him out and he snuggled into my shoulder the whole way to his bed.

Thank you, Lord, for being my Daddy. Help me let go of my pretend struggles, trust you, and let you carry me home.

Because you are his sons and daughters, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” – Galations 4:6

No comments :

Post a Comment