Friday, November 3, 2017

Claustrophobic - letting go

I had a dream in which I was walking down a hallway. The hallway had concrete block walls and was in a basement of a large building. At the end of the hallway, around the corner was a small room not much bigger than a closet, but it was set up like a library with tall shelves filled with books. It had a shelf along the back wall and a central shelf protruding out from the right wall. Curious, I go in, perusing the shelves. As I get to the back corner, around the central shelf, someone comes up behind me. They are interested in the books as well. Then another person shows up. I try to get out, but there is no way around them. I'm starting to get a little uncomfortable. I climb the center book shelf, hoping to jump over, but when I look over the top, I see a whole crowd that has packed the hallway, and they all are pressing into the room, filling every available space...

I can't get out... 

I start to panic. 

My heart rate sky rockets.

I recognize something is wrong...not with the situation, but with me. I know panicking is not going to solve anything, and is actually making the situation worse. I know I need to calm down...but how?!

I remind myself of the truth, 

"Why am I so upset? I am not under any immediate threat. The oxygen is not going to run out. I am not being hurt. I am just...not in control. I can't do what I want. I'm stuck. But most importantly, even though I am not in control, God is in control. He can take care of me. I don't have to be afraid. Even if this is the end of my earthly life, God is in control. I don't have to be afraid." 

A tremendous relief flows over me. The fog of panic lifts, and I can think clearly about the situation. It occurs to me that I haven't even asked the crowd if they can move back and let me out...

And I wake up. 


I was so nervous when I was not in control of my space. I can see this in other areas of my life as well. But God is still in control. If I let him be in control, I can relax. Then I can think clearly about the situation, and my fears don't run me over.


"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen." - First Peter 5:6-11 ESV

1 comment :

  1. I said, “I am about to be overwhelmed.” But, Lord, your love kept me safe.
    Psalms 94:18 ICB

    ReplyDelete