Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ethics Course Evaluation

I took an ethics course through a major university and I was asked to fill out a survey about the course. Below are a few of my answers.

Most liked: Making a decision based on the possible negative perceptions of external parties.

Least liked: Distinguishing the origin and place of Professional Ethics.

Improvement: Don't let atheist religion dominate the ethics discussion. It seems a blatant contradiction to assert that there is no higher authority than humankind, and then to assert that society has placed these obligations of ethical behavior upon us. If humankind is the final authority, then no other human has the right to restrain my actions, declaring some “ethical” and some “unethical.” Our society uses the benefit of the assumption of God, but denies Him credit for establishing absolute principles. If this course is to properly explore the source of Professional Ethics, God must be referenced at some point, or risk appearing very bias in your worldview.

That's all for my survey answers. I don't know if they will change anything. God makes people uncomfortable because we are naturally opposed to him. But yielding to God and His word gives us perfect freedom, which is exactly what we want in the first place.

I can't help thinking about Proverbs 9:10, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." We humans are constantly trying to see the big picture with our limited view. We learn as best we can with the time we are given, but we will never see the whole picture. I leave that up to God. I trust what He says in His word (on a good day). I still have the same natural inclination as you, to trust in myself. But by God's grace, we can be the smartest people in the world by remembering we aren't God.

No comments :

Post a Comment