Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Submission










“What a wretched man I am!”
                   – The Apostle Paul, formerly Saul of Tarsus

I want to be great, but find myself struggling to hit average. I feel on top of the world, and then fall headlong , face first, in the dust. I can’t get up, paralyzed, bleeding, broken. My Father comes near to pick me up, heal my wounds, dust me off, clean me up, and send me on my way again. I walk slow at first, watching my steps. Then looking around to see if anyone saw me fall. My wife saw me. I want to prove I can make it…on my own…but that’s clearly not the case. My Father has picked me up many times. That’s reality. That’s the truth. I dishonor my Father by not sharing that truth. It hurts that I can’t accomplish vast success. What is success? Is my worldview wrong?

I keep hearing my Father whisper, “My grace is sufficient for you.”

Is this all I need? Aren’t I supposed to do something great?

“My power is made perfect in weakness.”

But I can’t do anything good!

“No one does good, not even one.”

I’m worthless?…I want to be great!

“All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall…”

What then is left for me?

“…the word of the Lord endures forever.”

Then, what can I say? What can I do?

“Proclaim what the Lord has done.”

That’s it? That’s it? What about my name? I am ashamed of the time you have had to pick me up. I look like a fool, a jerk, a coward. What about being a prophet, a martyr, a saint, a pastor, an author, a generous donor, a…

“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much”

How little? Less than I have now? How can I manage on less? What do I have to give up?

“Everything”

Everything? It hurts. I don’t want to let go. I like these things, these habits, these desires. I desire so much, and accomplish so little.

“You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.”

No, I wouldn’t.

“You boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.”

Act on every good thought? Follow every rule I know? But what if it doesn’t make sense? What if the law is wrong? What if it makes me lose? Should I follow you to my destruction?

“I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you, and not to harm you.”

Can I trust you?

“Be still, and know that I am God. I am who I am. I am the same yesterday and today and forever. I am the Lord, who makes you holy. I am the Lord your God. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the Almighty. I am the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. I am the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, but I have made you alive in Christ. I have saved you. I live in you by the Spirit. I am the cornerstone, your firm foundation. You can do all things through me who gives you strength. You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”

Forgive me Lord. 
                                Help me overcome my unbelief! 
                                                                                          Your servant is listening.



Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.





References:
Romans 7:24
2 Corinthians 12:9
Psalm 14:3
1 Peter 1:23
Psalm 118:17
Luke 16:10
James 4: 2-3, 16-17
Jeremiah 29:11
Psalm 46:10
Exodus and others you should find
Psalm 51:10

No comments :

Post a Comment