Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Funeral

My family and I attended a funeral on Friday, March 13. Dawn Schwalbach, mother of 10 children, died of leukemia. She was a parenting and homeschooling mentor of ours. The service was two hours long. Started off with a hymn sing and a pastor opened the service, her six oldest children spoke, then her husband spoke. I was blown away by God's wonderful work on this family. Another pastor closed the service with a longer message and encouragement to the family. But it was the family themselves that said the most, that witnessed the most, that shone like stars.

Every person that spoke encouraged all those present to give their lives to God. Every child spoke about their mother, but in the context of God's grace and his work of salvation. I was humbled to be in their presence as God's glory was revealed in deep and personal ways.

I lost it when her husband, Jim, spoke. He told how things had not gone according to their plan, but how he was already seeing God's marvelous plan at work. She had gone down to Texas for treatment. He had gone down with her to get set up, but the plan was that he would go back home to Wisconsin. His flight was delayed a couple days. He was most thankful for those extra days. She had complications while he was back in Wisconsin. He was not able to make it to the hospital before she died. He blamed himself. His friend flew down to give him strength and encouragement. He was shattered. 

While Jim was following their plan (staying back in WI), his long-term alcoholic brother called him for help. He never calls for help. He got a flat tire. Jim and Dawn had been helping him for many years and sharing their faith in Jesus Christ as the only way. That day that Jim met him on the road, he stopped resisting God. He believed that God had saved even him, and he prayed that God would use whatever is left of him, for His glory. He died of detox the day before Dawn died. His funeral was the next day. 

This family has gone through a lot, and they keep shining as God's children, ever pointing to the One who makes them whole. 

When we went through the reception line, Jim gave us a marriage book and encouraged us in our homeschooling. Wow. He's still thinking about giving to others, when he feels like half of his heart has been amputated.

What's wrong with me? How can I be like that?

They all said the same thing. Commit yourself to Christ. Let him be your Lord and Savior.

I want to remember these quotes:
"Remember, we're not homeschooling them for their 'academics', we're homeschooling them for their souls."

"Others speak their salvation, she lived her salvation."

"She always took the time to listen."

"Running errands, she asked me if I was embarrassed to be 'Mom's little helper' - like anyone could be embarrassed to be around her."

"There wasn't a phony bone in her body."

"She would be mad at me if I didn't tell you...Jesus died for you."

7 comments :

  1. Beautiful! I pray for that family daily. How can we be more like them? I feel so weak in faith and small compared to that amazing family. Then God reminds me, "'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." (2 Cor. 12:9) Imagine that, babe! Christ's power, on us! On all believers! Remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats right! Start where you are. God has you right here, right now according to his plan. You can feel free to try your best and fail, because God has you covered with the power of Christ. Go for it! Dare to trust God so completely that you forget about all the things the world tells you are so important (or at least you view them in the right perspective).

      We also can not all be like Dawn, but he has given each of us unique gifts to use in his service. God

      Delete
  2. Wow Josh, I stumbled on this article this morning and it has completely inspired me. Thank you so much for sharing and keeping her legacy going. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Kristen. Her legacy is His legacy. Its great when God shows us a glimpse of his loving and selfless nature through others in our lives. I pray that their story continues to inspire many more to live for Christ. My post is a pale comparison to the actual experience. I believe they will be posting a video of the funeral, and I will try to share that as well. To God be the glory!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this Phil. This has been a very tough road trying to live without my sweet beautiful wife. She was truly a treasure. But I am grateful for the time I had with her. Most people will never live with the kind of love we shared for almost 29 years. We were so happy together I never knew how tough this life really is. Every day is hard, but we are growing in our faith and looking ahead to being home with her and Jesus soon. May God Bless you Phil!

    ReplyDelete