Thursday, March 26, 2015

Personal Faith

My wife and I are leading our oldest daughter through a study of Luther's small catechism. Part of the curriculum is writing your own personal confession of faith based on what we've learned about the Apostle's Creed. My wife read her's last night and I felt like sharing it with you. This is definitely what I believe about God through studying the bible. I think it is a very important step to own your faith. Go beyond the "I was raised..." and confidently declare, "I believe in..."  We each have specific stumbling points and specific doubts based on our personalities and backgrounds. Get them answered! Be confident in what you believe, because it will follow you in eternity. Each parent should help their children own their faith and give them the resources to get their questions answered. This is our God:

My Personal Confession of Faith Creed
by Katrina Nicolle Meinel, March 2015

I believe in the Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is omniscient (all-knowing), omnipresent (present everywhere) and omnipotent (all-powerful). God always was, always is, and always will be.

I believe the first person of The Trinity is the Father. As a Father, He created the whole world and provides for the whole world. As my Father, He gives me what I need and desire, and protects me. He does this because He created me and loves me. When His creation was ruined, He immediately promised a Savior.

I believe the second person of The Trinity is the Son, my Savior. This promised Savior came to earth as a baby, born of a virgin. Lived a perfect life, died the death I deserved to die, and was forsaken by the Father because of my sins. He descended into hell to proclaim His victory. He rose from the dead and ascended into heaven where He rules with all authority under the Father and prepares a mansion for me. And on the last day, when the trumpet sounds, He will raise the dead and take me and all believers to be with Him forever in heaven!

I believe the third person of The Trinity is the Spirit, the author and perfecter of my faith. He created my faith the day I was baptized
and strengthens my faith when I hear God’s Word and partake of the Lord’s Supper. He continually gives me strength to live the life of God’s child in service, gratitude and thankfulness to Him. All this I believe only by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Amen

No comments :

Post a Comment